Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Josh Hutcherson Recalls Working with Suzanne Collins

Josh Hutcherson was interviewed by DIY.
"How involved was Suzanne Collins in the making of the film?She was very involved. It was great actually, as she was in the first audition that I had, which was mildly traumatising. To walk into the room and see the author of the book! She gave me a call when I got the part, saying ‘if there’s anything you need, here’s my cell phone, my home number, my email, just let me know’. She’s so sweet and she was on set a bunch. It was great to have her there, as it felt it gave the fans a sense of calm to know they weren’t just giving it to Hollywood to make whatever version they want. She was great at making us not feel intimidated, she was aware of it. She knows we are actors who make our own interpretation of it, said she can’t wait to see what we do with it. Like, excited to see it move into the next medium. She was on board to make little adjustments to make it the best movie possible. She offered herself up for any questions, but the [character] was all in the books. I’ve never read a character in my life who I’ve felt was so much who I am as a person, and stood for the same things I stood for. When I was reading it, I thought how has Suzanne written a book that is who I am. Everything about Peeta I believe in 100%.Before signing on, did you think about the Twilight thing, and how your life could become like theirs?I didn’t think about that when I signed on. For me, the reason I do movies is because I love acting and playing different roles. When I read these books, I connected with Peeta on so many levels, and what I believe in is what he believes in. I would’ve died if I had not gotten to play this role. That didn’t enter my mind until after the fact: ‘oh wow, there’s that too…’ It’s exciting to have that support from fans.Were you at all starstruck by the big names in the cast, such as Donald Sutherland and Woody Harrelson?These are people I’ve looked up to my whole life, and now they’re working with me, and being in movies I’m in – it’s incredible. Woody Harrelson, out of all the cast members in the movie, is the one whose movies I’ve seen the most – White Men Can’t Jump is one of my favourite mvoies ever. Working with him was an honour, and now we text and talk all the time. He’s actually a friend of mine! He’s not just Woody Harrelson, he’s my friend! How is this even possible, that’s amazing!Did fans of the book show up on the set of The Hunger Games?Lionsgate were so tight when it came to security on location. When we walked from our trailers to set, or to our cars, they built like barricades so people couldn’t see the costumes. One time we were in North Carolina, and it was the weekend, and I got into the hotel lobby and there were two girls who had driven nine hours on the chance I would be there. They had a bunch of stuff for me to sign and everything. They have their ways! All that pressure was washed away as soon as I got on set as I started acting, and doing what I loved. When I was in in New York City for the premiere release of the trailer on Good Morning America, one of the fans had made me a hand-knitted scarf, and gave it to me out of nowhere. It was one of the nicest things a fan has ever given me, for free!"

No comments:

Post a Comment