Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day!


First, Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day! I hope you had a great day off of school like I did! I went to the mall and did some great sale shopping! 

On a more serious note, MLK did some seriously amazing things. Plus, some of his themes are also focused on in the Hunger Games. Here are some examples:

1. Living In a Society not based on any kind of skin color - This is so true in the Hunger Games. Not in the color of their skin, but in the money way. The entire fact of the tesserae is a way for the Capitol to judge people. The fact that Effie and Cinna getting District 12 because they are the poorest district. "What can you have? Five entries? I had six when I was just twelve years old. "That's not her fault," I say. "No, it's no one's fault. Just the way it is," says Gale. That is a direct quote from Hunger Games, page 12. It explains in every way how against the poor and rich are against each other. In the end, that division is the very thing that keeps the Capitol from falling. At the end, when they join together to fight, they win. 

2. I Have a Dream - Many of the children in Panem can't afford to have dreams because they live in fear. From the ages of 12 - 18, they will be in the ball of names to be selected to be in the arena, fighting to their death. 

Sorry, that's it! If you have any other similar themes, I would love to read them! 

~MiKayla